Tuesday 1 February 2011

Putting an end to all those UFO's

Over the last week or so I have been putting together  a parcel for KidsCompany. This is an organisation based in London that offers practical, emotional and educational support to vulnerable inner-city children.

Their  services reach 14,000 children across London, including the most deprived and at risk whose parents are unable to care for them due to their own practical and emotional challenges. For many, the roles of adult and child are reversed.
These exceptionally vulnerable children not only negotiate significant challenges in their family homes, they also face immense threat within their neighbourhoods. Often they are exposed to relentless violence, some are forced into working as drug couriers or prostitutes, and many experience chronic abuse.
Kids Company provides a safe, caring, family environment where support is tailored to the needs of each individual. Their services and support empower children who have experienced enormous challenges to lead positive and fulfilling lives.

As I do not live particularly near to London, my support is limited to making some items of clothing for these children and teenagers. This is something I take great pleasure in doing, and love looking at the type of items in stores that I think the kids would like and then trying to create something similar out of the off-cuts and bolt ends that I can find in the bargain sections of fabric and yarn stores. The children always thank me with a beautiful hand made card and it is lovely to read the newsletters, giving me a small insight into the children's lives. For more information go to http://www.kidsco.org.uk/about-us

Out of three yards of blue cord I was able to make 6 pairs of pants ranging in size from 6 months to 3 years
and these earflap hats were made with all the single balls of yarn that I had over from other projects.

I am particularly pleased with the three rabbits in the top picture. I was just about to send off my parcel when I found a link on a friend's Facebook page : http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/facts-and-arguments/were-a-minimalist-family/article1881374/
Its all about minimalist living, and the "eco-friendly, don't buy it if you don't need it " crafter inside of me just had to take a peek!!
Well, I am now slowly on my way to minimalist living! I say slowly, because rarely used kitchen gadgets I can re-home without a problem, but all my crafting stash - now that's another matter! You just never know when you are going to need that 3" of lace or the book on macrame that you bought ** years ago! You never know when it might come back in fashion!
It did make me take a serious look at what I had, and I decided that the first job was to do something useful with all the UFO's (un-finished objects!) in the back of the cupboards. So these three rabbits evolved from several heads, limbs and half finished clothes that had been the practice bits for the rabbit pattern in my Etsy store. They may be made form odd body parts, but I think they turned out rather cute, don't you!

No comments:

Post a Comment